Saturday 20 February 2021

My Name Is Pat Dooner


Transcript.

My name is Pat Dooner, I was born and raised in O’Brien Street. I was born in 1914. I will try to tell you my life’s story.

I remember when I went to school, I went to the Nuns’ School and my mother used to give me a bowl of porridge going to school. And then, when I got to the school, the nuns would give me a cup of hot milk and a round of bread, I wasn’t the only one, there was quite a few of us.

Then when that was finished we went to the classroom and had this (indistinct) , we used to do prayers, these were the first things we used to do and then, when this was done, we used to have a little tray with sand in it and we used to do all our drawing, writing our names and making all sorts of things and that went on for quite a long time and then the nuns used to tell us little stories out of a book and one thing and another and I remember them very well.

And we were introduced to a slate with a wooden surrounding and a piece of chalk. And that went on for quite a long time and we was doing that and we thought it was great and anyway then we had a piece of paper and a pencil, we done some work with the pencil, probably we were doing that for quite some time and then it was time for us to move on into the Masters’ School


2 comments:

  1. The older I get, the more I appreciate the fact that it's the little details that tell the real story. Thanks for sharing Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on, Matt. Here was a man who had faced stuff we daren't consider and came through it. We can get lost in the iconic events and stories can't we? They sometimes obscure what made them.

    ReplyDelete